Friday, March 14, 2014

New York

So I thought it was important to document my trip to New York.  I know most of my blogs of late have not been in the genre of talking about my trips.  But hey, I have never been one to follow the rules.  And though it is important to write about what God is doing and teaching me.  I also think it important to write about the fun things that happen in my world.

So maybe a month ago I decided it was necessary for me to get away for a little while.  Maybe to refresh, get a different perspective on things, or just to simply run away for a bit.  I actually tried to get over to Bath, England.  To see friends and visit my old stomping grounds.  But it did not work out.  Soon though.  So then I thought.... I have never been to New York.  Always wanted to, and why not?  It is much cheaper right now (thanks for organizing that, Dad) with all the weather they have been having. And I knew I needed a partner in mischief, so I asked my mom to come with me.  So glad I did.  We had a great time.

We flew out on Saturday and with only a few minor bumps (looking a fool at the train station), we got on the LIRR headed towards Penn Station.  And lucky us, we got seats right next to the testosterone fueled frat boys pre-gaming for some party.  They were lovely.  I admit, I had to hold myself back from declaring my love for them.  So anyway, we get to Penn Station, where dad said we should get a cab to our hotel, likely on $10 plus tip.  When we get to the street we were both filled with excitement and also likely dazed by the bright lights (like moths) of Times Square and mom says "Hey!  We are on 7th Ave already!  That is where our hotel is, I bet we can walk!!"  "SURE!" I say back.  So off we trot, short legs and suitcases in tow.  Now remember, it is Saturday night at Times Square..... Needless to say.  A little longer trek than we expected.  But we make it.  YEAH!  We check in, ask the concierge where some pizza is, go pick it up and bring it back to the hotel.  It was delicious.  We eat and collapse.  Excited for Idina day!!!

Ok, Sunday. I got all kinds of pretty in case I meet someone important.  If you did not see the picture, go look.  I look great. ;-)  HAHAHA.  Just being real.  (WARNING:  Gonna get Musical Nerd here for a bit)  We have a show at 2 pm.  It is a new Broadway show starring Idina Menzel.  Everyone now knows her as the voice of Elsa in Frozen, but I have loved her for YEARS.  She is who I want to grow up to be.  She was the original Elphaba in Wicked.  Has an amazing voice.  Not so secret about me.  I love musicals.  I LOVE to sing and dance.  And if I had the bravery and confidence I would do it in front of people.  But, I don't.  So I look at her, living vicariously.  The show is If/Then.  Definitely a new kind of story, but seeing her live was a dream come true.  We made some new friends in line.  2 teachers from Long Island.  And comforted to know they feel just like we do about the education system in this country.... Sigh.  Moving on.  After the show we go back to the hotel so I can get jeans and a coat.  We walk around some more and decide to go to the famous Carnegie Deli. Got a corned beef sandwich and chocolate mousse cake. Delicious.

Monday.  Jimmy Fallon Day!  We got up and head to Rockefeller Square.  Figured out where to go for Jimmy later.  We had some time to kill so we explored, got some lunch and headed back to the NBC store around 2.  We were told not to form a line UNTIL 2, but homeslice, I want to make it in the audience, so I will pretend to look at the FRIENDS shirts and mugs for 45 minutes if I have to, just to get a good spot in line.  Finally, we get a wristband and have an hour to kill.  We go under to a mall like place and mom sees Meredith Viera walking.  So excited.  We go back and wait some more.  At this point it was quite frustrating.  But FINALLY we get in and sit down.  So fun.  I love Jimmy.  Got Frozen on DVD.  Awesome.  When we get out we go to a lovely Italian place for dinner.  SO good.  Come to think of it, not sure I had a bad meal while in NYC.  We were so full, but satisfied when we got back to the room.  Stayed up and watched our Jimmy show.  Lovely day.

Tuesday.  We got up late and went to Central Park and walked around.  Some guy tried to get us to pay a fortune to get a bike ride all around.... umm no thanks.  No really.  We said no.  Go. Away.  It was a beautiful day.  Unfortunately, I was not feeling my best.... as life goes.  We ate in central park, walked some more and headed back to the hotel.  But saw our bike guy again.  This time he yelled at me "Free Hugs!!!"  When I ignored him he said he was a celebrity and would take a picture with me.... NO THANKS.  I stayed in the room and laid down for a bit, and mom went shopping for a little while.  We wanted to go to the 9/11 Memorial, but my lamesauce self ruined it by not feeling up to it.  We got ready and went to dinner at a cute the French place.  Then we head to our last show, Motown.  Such wonderful music.  Good show.  I mean, come on.  It is a Broadway show.

The rest of our trip is just travel.  For those involved I will not talk about the mean little lady that would not let mom in the security line with her bag.... just saying.  She was asking to get cut.

I know most people would think I am crazy for not doing more touristy stuff.  But I got to do the important things to me.  I do wish I would have gotten to do the bus tour.  But it gives me a reason to go back.  I had a great time.  I also got to think about a lot of things that I am sure will show up in a later blog.  I am especially grateful for the time I got to spend with my  mom.  We had a great time and I would not trade it.

Don't worry New York.  I will see you again.


No comments:

Post a Comment